Saturday, May 14, 2011

Paramour by Margaret Ethridge

Paramour

Paramour

By Margaret Ethridge

Book Blurb:
Camellia Stafford has never been alone in her room. For twenty years, she’s been engaged in a fierce power struggle with her bedroom’s previous tenant, Frank DeLuca, the ghost trapped in the light fixture above her bed.

Caustic and cranky, Frank has one soft spot—Cam. Over the years, their feelings for one another have evolved from grudging friendship to an enduring love that burns white-hot until Frank puts his feelings for Cam on ice.

When she suffers the loss of her beloved father, Cam returns home to say good-bye, and confront her feelings for Frank. She finds an unexpected shoulder to lean on in neighbor, Bradley Mitchum. Cam falls hard and fast for the handsome ad man’s charming smile and passionate nature, but Brad’s easy-going exterior masks a steely backbone tempered by adversity.

Two men: one living, one dead, and both vying for her love. Now Cam must determine if her heart is strong enough to choose which dream could lead to a love that will last a lifetime.




Love Love Loved this book. I got so involved with the characters. I don't think I've read a storyline like this before which was refreshing and new. Paramour really only has 3 characters and because of that and how incredible it is all written, you will think about this book days after finishing.

From the moment I read the first line of the Prologue, "I break everything I touch. That's what my mother always told me." I knew I was a gonner. The prologue chapter at the beginning of the book is so powerful and emotional. You learn so much about the character Frank right away and then the prologue ends like this, On August nineteenth, nineteen eighty-seven, I died. She broke. I broke her. I didn't think it was possible. My whole life, I thought she was indestructible. But she's not. She's broken, and I broke her. My mother crumpled in a heap on the floor. For a moment, I was happy. I finally got a rise out of her." (The first person in the prologue is Frank. Now don't you just want to know more about Frank? Oh yeah.)

Camilla, the main female character, returns to her family home after her father suddenly dies of a heart attack. Feeling alone and a little bit lost she rekindles her love & friendship with Frank’s ghost who has been binded to the light sconce in her wall since she was a child. (I don't want to give away spoilers because I really love this book and I don't want to ruin it.)
Enter Brad the sexy neighbour with whom Cam oogles while he is cutting her dad’s lawn. The descriptions of Brad and how Cam and he are reacquainted is written to perfection. There is a connection and a spark right away and you are now caught in a bit of a triangle because at this point of the story, you totally love Frank.

The banter, the conversations, the descriptions and the emotions are all written to perfection and I haven’t even touched on the delicious smut. There is a hallway scene that I read twice because I read it so fast that I had to go back and slow down and read it again because it was so enjoyable. Here is another bit that I saved on my Kindle because I just adore the description,
"He gasped for precious oxygen when the button popped open. For a crazed moment, he wondered if it was her doing, or if the sheer force of his throbbing erection was answering her unspoken request."

Okay now the ending. GUH! Please don’t ruin it by reading the ending first if that is what you do. AMAZING. For only $5 on Amazon Kindle, it was a steal. I look forward to many other writings by Margaret Ethridge.







2 comments:

Deborah Lawrenson said...

Sounds an interesting read. I do agree with you that one line can speak volumes to a reader.

Unknown said...

Deborah, it really was an interesting read. I loved the whole ghost storyline. Couldn't put it down.

Thanks for the comment.