Thursday, December 26, 2013

Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh



















Jason and Mahiya's book




Archangel's Storm ( Guild Hunter book 5)

by Nalini Singh

Book Blurb:
With wings of midnight and an affinity for shadows, Jason courts darkness. But now, with the Archangel Neha’s consort lying murdered in the jewel-studded palace that was his prison and her rage threatening cataclysmic devastation, Jason steps into the light, knowing he must unearth the murderer before it is too late.

Earning Neha’s trust comes at a price—Jason must tie himself to her bloodline through the Princess Mahiya, a woman with secrets so dangerous, she trusts no one. Least of all an enemy spymaster.

With only their relentless hunt for a violent, intelligent killer to unite them, Jason and Mahiya embark on a quest that leads to a centuries-old nightmare… and to the dark storm of an unexpected passion that threatens to drench them both in blood.




I'm still playing catch up on the stack of books I had purchased in the past two years. I am so happy that I waited to be in a total UF/Paranormal frame of mind to read Archangel's Storm because I enjoyed it that much more. I was ready to be swept away in the world of angels and vampires. Nalini Singh as always, delivered a great story. 

Jason is a quiet angel with such a strong presence that he really doesn't have a lot of dialogue. I found that he is in his head more than he communicates with his words. I found that this approach completely worked for Jason. It goes hand in hand with his childhood background and at one point in his past, he was considered mute. I so admire Nalini Singh for being true to Jason's character. I would have been very disappointed if his own book came out and all of sudden he was a chatterbox. 

Mahiya is the perfect match for Jason. She too is reserved and even shy at the initial intimate moments with Jason. I found her to be a very quiet heroine. If there was a room full of angels, Jason and Mahiya would be the pair that would be quiet and watching everyone else or being secluded away with each other. Neither are attention seekers. 

It has been awhile since I read the last Guild Hunter book so I found myself trying to get caught up on where the last book left off. These books are not stand alone because there is a true bigger story that keeps expanding with each book. I do wonder where the genius Nalini Singh is taking us. The main mystery in Archangel's Storm was a bit slow for me. It progressed gradually forward and always skirting around the edges was the bigger story to still be told. 

I do like Dmitri and Honor and you get glimpses of an extended story from their previous book but it felt like a badly timed interruption of Jason & Mahiya's story. A chapter would end and I would turn the page eager for their next move and BAM! a short chapter of Dmitri and Honor. I wanted to skip over it but I was worried that it would eventually all be linked. It wasn't. Oh well, I guess it was better than paying for a short novella of Dmitri and Honor. 

On to the next book, Archangel's Legion and I am so excited because the series turns back to Elena and Raphael and I LOVE those two!! Okay if I was being totally honest, I just read Archangel's Storm as fast as I could just to get to Elena and Raphael. 

Teasers: Reminder - Archangels do not think the same way humans do





No comments: