Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fatal Affair by Marie Force














Samantha "Sam" Holland and Nick Cappuano




Fatal Affair (Fatal book 1)

By Marie Force

Book Blurb:
Washington, D.C., Metro Police Detective Sergeant Sam Holland needs a big win to salvage her career--and her confidence--after a disastrous investigation. The perfect opportunity arises when Senator John O'Connor is found brutally murdered in his bed, and Sam is assigned to the case. Matters get complicated when Sam has to team up with Nick Cappuano, O'Connor's friend and chief of staff...and the man Sam had a memorable one-night stand with years earlier. Their sexual chemistry still sizzles, and Sam has to fight to stay focused on the case. Sleeping with a material witness is another mistake she can't afford--especially when the bodies keep piling up.







*fist pump* YES! A new series to fall in love with. I've had Fatal Affair on my Kindle for awhile now and I've finally gotten around to reading it. Fatal Affair was an Amazon free Kindle purchase at one time. Giving away the first book of a series is such a great idea because I am hooked and I will gladly purchase more books in this Fatal series. 

Sam is a heroine to be admired. She was a well respected detective in her police precinct with a reputation of being smart. I loved that the author wrote that Sam was admired among her peers. I was really hoping I wouldn't be dragged down a road where Sam was involved in a stereotypical battle where "a woman was working in a man's world". Thankfully the author didn't go there and instead I was treated to a fabulous story.  

I found myself imagining the character Kate Beckett from the TV show Castle while picturing Sam Holland. She is a strong and capable female police sergeant that has a great insight and instincts. Yet, she is still feminine and venerable. Sam was a huge draw for me on how much I loved Fatal Affair. Well I'll be honest, Nick (the male protagonist) was also an excellent character. I loved how realistic his character was. He threw up when he encountered a gruesome murder crime scene just like a civilian would. Nick understood that Sam had a tough job to do and although his manly pride got a bit wounded during a couple of scenes, he was bright enough to realize that Sam was damn good at her job and he had to swallow his pride. 

The location of the story is set in Washington DC and the the flavour of the story is political as well as being deeply ensconced in the law enforcement environment. The mix was suspenseful, the murders to solve were brutal and the mystery kept me engaged the entire story.  

I will happily seek out book 2 and read it soon. 

Teasers: excellent father/daughter relationship, secrets in the closet, brutal murders




4 comments:

Christine said...

I've read all the current books available in this series, and have enjoyed them all. I think you will too. :)

Unknown said...

Awesome news! I am totally going to get them eventually. Maybe I'll get some gift cards for Christmas :)

Marie Force said...

Thanks Michelle! So glad you enjoyed Fatal Affair, and hope you like the rest of the series! Much more to come!

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I've been slowly collecting the series. I've heard so many good things about it and can't wait to start on it. Glad ya enjoyed it :)