Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kiss of a Demon King by Kresely Cole














Sabine, Sorceress of Illusions and Rydstrom Woede's book





Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark book 7)

By Kresley Cole


Book Blurb:HIS OBSESSION...Sabine, Sorceress of Illusions: the evil beauty who surrenders her body, but not her heart.

HER DOWNFALL...Rydstrom Woede: the ruthless warrior who vows to keep her at all costs.

THEY WERE NEVER SUPPOSED TO WANT EACH OTHER THIS MUCH...With each smoldering encounter, their shared hunger only increases. If they can defeat the sinister enemy that stands between them, will Sabine make the ultimate sacrifice for her demon? Or will the proud king lay down his crown and arms to save his sorceress?


Just finished Kiss of a Demon King and although I enjoyed it, I didn't fall in love with it as much as the previous few. My issue was how mismatched the couple was. Sabine and Rydstrom were so very opposite, like night and day opposite, like good vs evil opposite and I never really did feel that they actually connected. Sabine had to get cleaner and Rydstrom had to get dirtier for this pairing to work. I think the author tried really hard to make it work out that they both bent a bit out of their comfort zone but it didn't really work for me. 

It was clear that Rydstrom had searched centuries for his mate. He was so sure that he needed a perfectly queenly proper woman for his mate and never found the one he truly desired. Turns out he likes a bit of kink & bondage mixed in with his fantasies and I think that was the author's attempt of him getting a bit "dirty". 

On the Sabine front, she had the worst kind of evil for a brother (who incestuously craved her) and she had been murdered and brought back to life more times than even an immortal should bear. For experiencing a wicked upbringing and having Sabine set in her selfish ways, she only thinks of herself and be damned on everyone else. She is thoughtless and has no qualms about how she gets what she wants. I wasn't quite sure how Kresley Cole was going to get me to like her. Eventually I did but I still didn't think she was a match for Rydstrom. 

I also liked that Kresley Cole made an effort to have Sabine appear differently (in a costume sense) since she was a Sorceress but all I kept picturing was a cross between a Vegas showgirl and Cirque du Soleil character. I don't know *shrugs* maybe it worked for a sorceress. 
http://lasvegasshowsauthority.com/mystere

Nix once again had the best lines and I found I just wanted to read more about Nix. I had to laugh when Sabine thought she'd telepathically enter Nix's mind for a quick look around and promptly withdrew because it was so muddled. "Welcome to my world" was all Nix would say about that that little intrusion. I did laugh out loud. 

We do get introduced to Sabine's sister, Lanthe and I am certainly interested in learning more about her. She is a sorceress as well and she has the power to open portals and the very cool power of persuasion. She is the only person in Sabine's entire life that she could trust and I found I liked her very much. I hope there is more information about her in the next stories. 

Let me talk about the sex for a bit. Sabine was a 500 year old virgin. Hard to believe but she had been saving herself for her Demon future husband as an Oracle had predicted. She may have been a virgin but she didn't have a stitch of shyness and she apparently was gifted with her oral skills. What annoyed me so much about this story was how much initial hate there was with this couple at the beginning but they both burned so hot for each other. I don't think I liked how cruel Sabine was being to Rydstrom at the beginning when he was a prisoner and yet, for as much as he couldn't stand her, he wanted to have sex with her so badly. I get the whole finding your mate thing but I didn't like that chemistry at all. I just I just don't like angry hate sex. To each their own I guess. 

Teasers: uncomfortable shower for Rydstrom, turnabout is fun, lame spanking, vows



No comments: