Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Darkest Fire by Gena Showalter













The Goddess Kadence and The Guardian Geryon





The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld Prequel book 0.5)

By Gena Showalter


Book Blurb:He is the guardian of hell, more monster than man. She is the goddess of oppression, more angel than woman. Together they will enter the flames to battle a dangerous horde of demon lords -- and discover a passion unlike any other..
..
Don't miss this sizzling prequel to Gena Showalter's breathtaking new paranormal series, The Lords of the Underworld Though they carry an eternal curse, the Lords of the Underworld are irresistibly seductive -- and unimaginably powerful...


A semi interesting back-story and I didn't care for the writing style. For some reason I had expected something way more intense since there seems to be so much buzz about the Lords of the Underworld series. To me the writing seemed kind of amateurish. I'm going to give the rest of the books a chance though because I did buy The Darkest Fire as part of a Lords of the Underworld bundle package and I am curious on the relevance of this prequel. 

Regarding the hero in the story, as admirable as Geryon was, the description of hooves, fur and horns was a big turn off. I just wasn't feeling the draw at all. Even creepy as he seemed more animal than human.

The idea that Pandora's box was built from a Goddess' bones was really cool and I think that I may have enjoyed The Darkest Fire more if I had read it after the first book in the series, The Darkest Night. Perhaps I could have appreciated the importance of Pandora's box more. As for the The Darkest Fire being a stand alone little story; I'd not suggest reading it alone and then giving up. More forward with The Darkest Night and then make your decision if you liked it or not. Since I went ahead and read The Darkest Night right away, that moved my rating for this book from a 2 to a 3. (which is a big rating difference)

Teasers: cracked wall to hell, Lords of the Underworld,  Goddess of Oppression, Guardian to Hell's Gate





No comments: