Tuesday, January 8, 2013

ICED by Karen Marie Moning















Dani's book



ICED (Fever book 6) 

By Karen Marie Moning


Book Blurb:The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be. 
Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.
Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux. 
When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.
Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.



Lets face it. Barrons and Mac's story is a really hard act to follow. The first 5 books in the Fever series are epic. With such big footsteps to follow, how can a 14 yr old Dani possibly conjure the pulsating action like the adventures that Mackayla Lane gave us? Well I am really pleased to say that I loved ICED. It was not epic like the first 5 books but truthfully, I was not a super huge fan of book 1, Darkfever at first either. But don't let that comment take away from the fact I still thought ICED was stellar and is deserving of my 5 star rating. 

If you have not read the first 5 books, don't even try ICED. You won't get the sheer magnitude of this urban fantasy series. It is not a stand alone novel. 

So with that understanding, if you are reading this review on my thoughts about ICED and comparing it to your own, cool! You'll understand my comments. If you haven't read ICED yet but plan to, then perhaps my thoughts will inspire you to pick it up. 

Some quick bullet thoughts regarding ICED characters. 
  • Christian - Nooooooo!
  • Ryodan - You're a major dick
  • Lor - You've grown on me and I like you a lot
  • Dancer - You're the Shit!
  • Jo - Guard your heart
  • Kat - Don't give up
  • Barrons - Be patient
  • Mac - Where are you? I missed you!! Also, I know why you were telling her to put down her sword. 
  • Jayne - I used to like you but now I don't. I understand but that doesn't change how I feel. 
  • Cruce - You slippery feathered devil. I know we have not heard the last from you.
And finally Dani. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about reading a story where a 14 yr old was the main protagonist but she rocked. A little repetitive with the word "Dude" and "fecking" but I know teens; once they latch onto a word, it is repetitious language. She may be all strong on the outside and as much as she is confident, she puts on a lot of bravo. She is a tough cookie. Admirable really. I wish Lor would mentor her and Ryodan would leave her alone. I also know that in a typical Karen Marie Moning fashion, it is never what you think so I will probably adore Ryodan by the end. 

I did get annoyed with the first person flipping between characters. I was reading away as Dani and at the start of the next chapter, the first person was Kat. I didn't like that at all. 

Fabulous story. Mild cliffhanger (when is that next book out?) and a great adventure. I am eager to continue on with Dani's books and I can't wait to see what happens in Dublin next. 





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really loved the interactions between Ryodan and Dani and Christian and Dani... Can't wait for the next book!

Unknown said...

I'm a bit ranty on how Ryodan beats Dani and humiliates her and DUDE!! she is 14!
It's going to take a lot to have me like Ryodan.

Julie said...

You know why Mac is telling her to put down her sword?! I don't! Tell me! Tell me! And no, not a huge fan of the point of views changing. Jayne...no. Not a fan anymore. I agree that the emotion that KMM was able to take from her readers warrants your rating, but I still won't give it higher than 3.5 lol. You are right about everything though. Great review :)