Thursday, January 17, 2013

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews















Kate Daniels #3





Magic Strikes

By Ilona Andrews

Book Blurb:
Investigator for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, Kate Daniels keeps humans safe in Atlanta. But when her werewolf friend Derek is dying in human form, from attack by the mysterious Reaper team at the Midnight Games, she and Curran, the Beast Lord, must fight together to win the Wolf Diamond topaz and save his Pack and her friends.



Oh these Kate Daniels stories just keep getting better and better. Magic Strikes is my favourite so far. 

Magic Strikes takes us a further into Kate's background and her family tree. I really liked finally having that information. It is what I suspected but I like having the answers. 

I found myself completely immersed with Magic Strikes. I started reading in the morning and I pretty much didn't stop until it was all done. The plot was gripping and it is not a surprise to discover that I am really caring for these Atlantan characters. My heart was in my throat quite a few times in Magic Strikes ; particularly with regards to the young werewolf, Derek. 

The story primarily focused around these death defying "Midnight Games" (and I mean death defying). The winner lives, the loser is dies. No gray. Kate and Curran fighting together against the bad guys . Wow, it doesn't get any better than that. There are so many magical elements and various creatures within the Magic Strikes realm.  The story completely opens up and prepares the reader for another indepth follow up book. In fact, this review is being cut short because I just want to go and read Magic Bleeds right away. I am for sure rating this story a perfect 5 and I have a feeling each book afterwards is going to be a 5 if they follow suit. 

I do want to make a mention on how much I absolutely love that this talented writing team, Ilona Andrews is slowly bringing Kate and Curran together. This build up can be compared to climbing Mt Everest. So slow and so worth the trip to the top.  Now having said that, once they are officially together I fully expect the story lines to be just as good. I do love my couples together and I would not want book 12 to come along and they still aren't together. 

I also want to add that I am really glad that the teen, Julie (from the previous book) is looking to be a permanent character. I think Kate needs her just as much as Julie needs someone like Kate. I admit to not really caring too much for teen characters but this series has a great all round cast. 

Teasers: The way Kate arrives at Julie's school with Raphael (the were-hyena) on horses is every kid's dream. Probably one of my favourite scenes ever. 





1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh Derek... And Saimon! And your teaser...adore that scene.
Man I love these books! lol
The hot tub scene... You can read that one from Curran's POV too. One of my favorite non-sex scenes ever. :)