Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews















Kate Daniels book #2




Magic Burns

by Ilona Andrews


Book Blurb:As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.
When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, Celtic god Morfran supersedes goddess Morrigan for witch coven worshippers of the Crow, and sea monsters from the Underworld enter via the Cauldron of Plenty. Kate starts looking for Pack maps and 13-year old Julia's witch mother, and ends up uniting shapeshifters and vampire zombie controllers to save the world.



In this book 2, Magic Burns, I learned much more information about the Kate Daniels' world...but lots of questions still remain. My strong desire to have everything explained to me right up front is thankfully receding. There is a great story behind Kate's life and I think I'm going to really enjoy piecing it together book by book. 

In book 1, Magic Bites, Kate's first words to the Beast Lord, Curran was, "Here kitty, kitty, kitty." So I had to laugh that in Magic Burns, when Kate needs to talk with Curran she phones the Keep where he lives and says, "I need an audience with his furry Highness." 
It is a shame that Curran and Kate don't meet up in Magic Burns until the 10th chapter but when they do, Curran's first words are, "You're a fucking mess." 
Honestly I am digging the chemistry. It is not thrust and forced onto the reader and the constant word barbs and banter are absolutely stellar. The romance novel junkie in me finds their interactions to be the best part of the series.

There is a lot of nonstop action. Poor Kate has to find a simple reprieve on a cement balcony with a blanket and pillow just to grab a few hours of peaceful sleep. Its a good thing that these little tidbits are included otherwise I don't know when she would ever gets a moment's rest.  

Magic Burns is so full of magically interesting characters and pulsating action. We got introduced to a few Gods, a kinky were-hyena pack, creepy oozing monsters that smell like rotting fish (yuck), witches, more time with Pack members Jim & Derek (whom I so far love) and a (so bad that he is good) hero Bran. There were a couple of adolescences kids that really lent itself for the majority of the plot. The one specially magical teen Julie that was introduced makes me wonder if she returns more often in future books. That young girl really needs a strong role model and I think Kate fits the bill perfect (even if Kate fit the crazy aunt role best)

One of my most favourite things about the writing style of these books so far is that throughout the entire story, Ilona Andrews treats the reader to smart and insightful deductions into Kate's thoughts and reasonings. The author gives credibility to all Kate's decisions. I think by allowing those extra insights grants the reader the opportunity to really connect with Kate. I found that although I really liked her in the first book, I simply loved her in Magic Burns. I am actually glad that I am behind reading this series now because I am able to jump into the next book without having to wait for a newly published novel. I almost didn't want to stop and write a review but I knew if I didn't do that, the books were merge. I'm loving the Daniels' world. 

Teasers: cauldron, tortoise witch coven,  into the mist, coffee made, "Psych"





1 comment:

Julie said...

Ah...the unanswered questions. One of the beauties of UF You won't get all your answers until the very last book and even then a few may remain if a spin-off is in the works. ;)
I am loving reading your reviews because it's taking me back. I want to re-read these books so bad but just can't squeeze them into my schedule. But I will one day because I've read them a couple of times already and that is just not enough.
I love how you say that the authors treat their readers like we're smart. So very true. And the chemistry between Kate and Curran is always perfect.
Off to read what you thought of my favorite book in the series, Magic Strikes.