Saturday, April 20, 2013

Since the Surrender by Julie Anne Long















Rosalind March and Captain Colin Eversea's book




Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green book 3)

By Julie Anne Long


Book Blurb:A Man of Action . . .
Fearless. Loyal. Brilliant. Ruthless. Bold words are always used to describe English war hero Captain Chase Eversea, but another word unfortunately plays a role in every Eversea's destiny: trouble. And trouble for Chase arrives in the form of a mysterious message summoning him to a London rendezvous . . . where he encounters the memory of his most wicked indiscretion in the flesh: Rosalind March—the only woman he could never forget.
A Woman of Passion . . . 
Five years ago, the reckless, charming beauty craved the formidable Captain's attention. But now Rosalind is a coolly self-possessed woman, and desire is the last thing on her mind: her sister has mysteriously disappeared and she needs Chase's help to find her. But as their search through London's darkest corners re-ignites long-smoldering passion and memories of old battles, Chase and Rosalind are challenged to surrender: to the depths of a wicked desire, and to the possibility of love.



Since the Surrender is probably my least favourite Pennyroyal Green book yet. It didn't have the sparkle, wit or charm that all the previous books I have read. Since the Surrender is book 3 in the series but I've read a good many out of order so really it is the fifth book I read. 


Since the Surrender has a mystery element to it which I enjoyed. I was having a hard time connecting the dots on how their investigation all got started or what led to the infamous "cow and angel" painting in the museum. One day I will have to re-read to see if it made more sense. 

Colin was quite a bit grumbly and gruff compared to the previous good natured Pennyroyal Green men. Understanding he was a victim of the war and a forever military man, the Captain in him was a bit hard to love. I sensed that is why the author perhaps created the much loved 10 year old street urchin, Liam. Liam certainly allowed for a softer side of Colin to seep through the pages. 

Speaking of Liam, I think he was one of my most favourite things about the entire story. Julie Anne Long's version of a street-smart, 10 year old boy was spot on. Liam was the smile that was cemented on my face throughout the story. 

Rosalind was a bit bland for me as a heroine. I wanted to admire her, and I suppose at times I did. I think what held me back was that Rosalind and Colin were unfaithful to Rosalind's husband when he was alive. A kiss is still a kiss and actually for me it was more about all the emotions that were behind that kiss. It seemed to prevent me from liking this couple. They both loved her deceased husband and I am grateful that the author added in that he forgave them. I imagine it is hard to make an adulteress story work and I would say that Since the Surrender told a very convincing story. In the end, I am pleased that Rosalind and Colin did find their happiness. 

Teasers: Mr. Welland-Dowd, Mr. O. McCaucus-Bigg, paying for petty crimes on your back, puppet scare





No comments: