Sunday, December 18, 2011

Head Over Heels by Jill Shalvis















Chloe & Sawyer's book




Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor Book 3)


by Jill Shalvis


Book Blurb:
Breaking rules and breaking hearts 

Free-spirited Chloe lives life on the edge. Unlike her soon-to-be married sisters, she isn't ready to settle into a quiet life running their family's newly renovated inn. But soon her love of trouble--and trouble with love-draws the attention of the very stern, very sexy sheriff who'd like nothing better than to tame her wild ways. 

Suddenly Chloe can't take a misstep without the sheriff hot on her heels. His rugged swagger and his enigmatic smile are enough to make a girl beg to be handcuffed. For the first time, instead of avoiding the law, Chloe dreams of surrender. Can this rebel find a way to keep the peace with the straitlaced sheriff? Or will Chloe's colorful past keep her from a love that lasts . . . and the safe haven she truly wants in a town called Lucky Harbor?





I made the bold statement yesterday to my friend that Lucky Harbor series has become my favourite contemporary romance series. Big statement for an avid book reader. I then looked up to my book shelf at all my hundreds of favourite books and promptly re-confirmed. Yep it has earned top spot especially after reading Head Over Heels


Jill Shalvis has created a cast of characters that I want to know more about and a town I want to visit. 


Chloe and Sawyer's book was fantastic. In the first two books Chloe had a snarky, blunt attitude with a free spirit personality that I loved. I was so worried that when I would read her book that her individuality  would be modified to fit the typical heroine. It was not so and I'm was so happy about that. 

If Chloe is not hang gliding, climbing under rusty barbed wire fences rescuing dogs or hopping from city to city - spa to spa promoting her homemade beauty products, you could find her at the Bed and Breakfast she shares with her sisters. Not far from her asthma inhaler, Chloe grew to be more mature in this book without sacrificing her lifestyle. What a complex character she really is. Not a boring moment. 

Of the previous lead male protagonists of the Lucky Harbor series, Sawyer was much more quiet and reserved. He didn't have the snappy witty comebacks that Ford did or the sexy charm of Jax. Sawyer was the town sheriff and serious. He was also seriously hot. Chloe seemed an unlikely match yet in the same breath, they were so perfect for each other. He would probably be one of the few men that could take Chloe just the way she is. That was so attractive.

Another character that deserves a mention from Head Over Heels is Chloe's best friend, Lance. Lance has CF. A few years ago I lost a very good friend to CF so there were many emotional spots within Head Over Heels that brought streaming tears pouring down my face. Thank you to Jill Shalvis for not shying away from including characters that have a disease. It was also wonderful to read Lance having a shot at having a girlfriend.  

If the first book, Simply Irresistible was about trust, and the second book, The Sweetest Thing was about forgiveness, I would say that Head Over Heel's theme was acceptance. From Chloe's asthma, Lance's CF, the sister's support of the new day spa, Sawyer's relationship with his cranky old father and then having it all wrapped in a wonderfully romantic package, acceptance nicely rounds out the plot theme. It's hard not to give spoilers on a book that I loved so much. 

Teasers: Sister's mud bath by moonlight, paint hand prints, outdoor shower, angsty drug bust




3 comments:

Jill Shalvis said...

Thanks so much for the great review!

Julie said...

OMG! I a skimming these reviews because I have yet to read this author and these books but you are just making me want to read them now. I have to have to have to have to have to have to have to HAVE TO check them out in 2012. I just have to! Great reviews Michelle!

Margaret said...

I am beyond happy that you loved them! :)