Sunday, December 4, 2011

Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase














Marcelline Noirot & The Duke of Clevedon's book




Silk Is for Seduction


By Loretta Chase


Book Blurb:
From the Design Book of Marcelline Noirot:
The allure of the perfect gown should be twofold:
ladies would die to wear it . . .and gentlemen would kill to remove it!
Brilliant and ambitious dressmaker Marcelline Noirot is London's rising star. And who better to benefit from her talent than the worst-dressed lady in the ton, the Duke of Clevedon's intended bride? Winning the future duchess's patronage means prestige and fortune for Marcelline and her sisters. To get to the lady, though, Marcelline must win over Clevedon, whose standards are as high as his morals are . . . not.
The prize seems well worth the risk—but this time Marcelline's met her match. Clevedon can design a seduction as irresistible as her dresses; and what begins as a flicker of desire between two of the most passionately stubborn charmers in London soon ignites into a delicious inferno . . .and a blazing scandal.
And now both their futures hang by anexquisite thread of silk . . .


One of the best books with witty character banter I have read in a long time.  I could read have read Marcelline and the Duke of Clevedon talk all day long. That was one of the best things of Silk Is for Seduction

I also really like the story theme. I think historical shopper keepers, servants, nurse maids etc, often get the back burner to the elite Dukes, Earls and Ladies. I want to read about their lady maids too. In Silk Is for Seduction, the main character Marcelline Noirot is a seamstress managing her own dress shop. She is quite fabulous. Smart, determined, smart, loving mother, smart, loyal to her sisters and not to mention smart. In fact all her sisters are brilliant. What a wonderful series this Dressmakers series will turn out to be. These ladies know what they want and they know how to use all the tricks of their trade to get them there.

The Prologue provided an excellent set up to the entire story. The reader is treated with the perfect amount of information to understand where the Noirot sisters came from. However when the first chapter ended I was totally confused who was who. I feel way too many characters were introduced too quickly. Unfortunately once I was into the story a few chapters, I had to go back a re-read the beginning so I could have a better understanding of  who all the characters were to one another. I really dislike when too many characters get introduced to quickly.  

The poor Duke didn't really know what hit him once he was introduced to the exotic beauty at the opera.   Sowing his wild oats in Paris the last thing he expected was to become infatuated with the witty Mrs. Noirot. The two days the pair were acquainted in Paris was probably some of my favourite chapters in Silk Is for Seduction. The verbal sparring and each trying to out wit one another in cards and betting was both humourous and flirtatious. A perfect set up to launch their romance. 


As Marcelline was doing everything she could to win over the ladies of England and encourage them to order their dresses in her shop, she was completely transparent to the Duke about her intentions. And although Duke was perfectly aware of his obligations, he just couldn't resist her. I love that almost for the entire book, the Duke didn't even know her first name. He had to keep referring to her as Noirot. I found that amusing. 


As much as I loved Marcelline, I am still not sure what I make of the Duke. Oh yes, he was lovable, kind, handsome and he was well matched with Marcelline but I think he lacked a certain manly something. I can't quite put my finger on it. Regardless, the moment he sat Marcelline's adorable daughter upon his lap and let her hold the horse reigns, he had won me over. 

Fabulous writing. I can't wait for the next book.


Teasers:  diamond stick pin wager, Steam Boat ride from hell, raging fire, "But for tonight, I love you."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, I love the cover... the pink gown grabs my attention.. Second, loved your review... honest and I saw exactly what you loved about it. Always discovering new books on your blog.