Friday, December 23, 2011

Ransom by Julie Garwood














Laird Brodick Buchanan and Gillian’s book





Ransom (Highland Laird's book 2)

By Julie Garwood

Book Blurb:
In the dark days after the death of Richard the Lionhearted, lives and lands would fall into upheaval at the hands of a power-hungry British ruler and his violent minions. One victim of the scourge is innocent Gillian, who is a mere child when the cruel and ambitious Baron Alford slaughters her father and tears her family apart. Alford, determined to recover a jeweled box for the despotic King John, is furious when the precious treasure slips through his fingers -- only to be lost for more than a decade. 

Now a beautiful young woman, Gilllian finds the key to resolving her past in handsome Scottish chieftains Ramsey Sinclair and Brodick Buchanan. With the cunning and courage of the daring Scotsmen, and with the friendship of a new ally, Bridgid KirkConnell, Gillian at last fights the unscrupulous Baron Alford, laying claim to her home, her family, and her father's reputation. But in the presence of the mighty warriors, Gillian and Bridgid discover that desire can be a weapon of conquest ... betrayal can slay trust in a heartbeat ... and the greatest risk of all is surrender -- to the deep emotions of unexpected love.



Ransom is the second book in the Highland Laird series. I did not read “The Secret” first as it was  proving to be a difficult book to hunt down.  I did eventually find it and I'll update a review on here later.  Regardless, I don’t think I needed to read the  The Secret about the Maitland’s before this one. 

Ransom was simply FAB-U-LOUS and it will go down as one of my most favourite historical romances that I have ever read. I would also say that Ransom is my favourite Julie Garwood book of all time. I completely enjoyed reading all about Gillan and Brodick. The story was captivating and a page turner. In fact, I devoured it so quickly that I turned right around and re-read it. I wanted to feel that magic connection all over again. There were so many enjoyable parts to the novel. One of the main deep routed themes of Ransom was protection. I loved how protective Gilllian was to the young child Alec Maitland and in turn, I adored how protected Gillian felt with Brodick. 

One of my favourite scenes of Ransom was how Gillian and Brodick got married while they were on a horseback and Gillian had no idea that the marriage was even taken place. Brodick's friend Ramsay had a perfect part in that trickery and it had left me giggling. I thought the entire peice was extremely well written and very well thought out. I can’t imagine being an author sitting down and thinking ‘okay I am going to marry them but I don’t want Gillian to know what is happening’ Somehow Julie Garwood wields her magic and creates one of the most memorable scenes I will never forget. 

I often find when I love a book as much as I adored Ransom, it is difficult to review because I want to spill with spoilers all the amazing scenes and banter that occurs between the characters. I just don't want to ruin for any potential new readers. If you love alpha Highland Lairds, warriors who strive to protect, smart, brave and witty female characters  you will adore Ransom right along with me. 

There are twists and turns in Julie Garwood's plots so I kept expecting something predictable and I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't turn out that way. 

Teasers: secret treasure, brutal beating, rocky cliff conversation "You know what?"





1 comment:

lamlovestoread said...

This was the first historical romance I read I was 17 and have never looked back I read all she had out at that time. I don't read her now her new books can not compare to her old ones.