Saturday, December 10, 2011

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward















Manny & Payne's book but more about V & Jayne


Lover Unleashed 


by J.R. Ward


Book Blurb:
Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either. 

When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul. 

As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy.





V is my favourite brother, true. So on that mention, I loved Lover Unleashed. Since the fifth book Lover Unbound I had always felt that Vishous' story hadn't been told completely. I wanted more. I felt like there was still some unresolved issues. I wasn't a fan of Jane being a ghost and I felt like V got the short end of the stick for his shellan. I liked Jane well enough it's just the whole ghost thing and were they really happy with that ending. Lover Unleashed was a perfect resolve for me. 


Manny and Payne's story was great. Their chemistry was a bit to immediate for me though. I couldn't understand how Manny had been pinning for Jane for an entire year and then he walks into the hospital room, sees Payne and BAM he's in love and Jane is all but a distant memory. I'm glad he got over Jane but the instant "MINE" gave me whiplash it was so fast. 

I liked Payne. I loved her speech and I loved how she went after the Bloodletter for all that he had done to V. She is a good sister. I especially loved that even though Payne is a kick ass chick, she can still be a soft, warm and a loving woman. It was good to see that not all tough women like Xhex need to be so butchy. 

Manny was a good guy and I liked how he stood up to the Brothers. He knew they could easily kill him but that didn't stop him from standing his ground. Very interesting story ending on a way to link Manny to the Brothers. J.R. Ward set it up so that it could be elaborated or just left well enough alone. Smart writing. 

I loved that Lover Unleashed had lots of Butch and V scenes. I adore reading about those two together. I love their talks and how close they are. Lover Unleashed offers many squee moments and one particular pivotal moment that completely demonstrates just how tight their friendship really is. 

A new group of vampires were introduced and I am dying to know where J.R. Ward is going to take us with them. Another great set up for future books. All I know is that I am super interested in that story line. 

Poor Layla. She needs a life. I have no idea what is going on with Blay and Quinn and how Layla fits into all of this. Vampires aren't keen on sharing so I don't think a vampire menage is in their cards but something is definitely up with all of them.  I want to keep reading the series just to see how that all plays out. 

So all in all, excellent book. I loved it. In fact I devoured it so I may have to re-read it shortly so that I can enjoy it a bit more and I won't be in such a rush to get to the end. Lover Unleashed was so good I didn't want to put it down. 

Teasers: steamy shower, return of V's penthouse, waxed leathers, distant relative







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous you just read that for the first time, lol! I loved it too!
Allison

burbanette said...

Love all of J R Ward's books!

Fictional Candy said...

Of course, you can't go wrong with the BDB. I really liked this book too, I think Payne is a wonderful character, and it was good to see someone besides Xhex is tough and can be the alpha.

Kim said...

I still need to read Payne's book! I have it in my dorm, but I haven't read it yet. Sadness. Great review! :)

-Kim

Lexie@BookBug said...

I haven't read this series but I hear they are pretty good. And it sounds like you approve too!

Hillary said...

I absolutely love her writing, and this is my absolute favorite series, however, this was not the best one in it...though I loved V and Butch!

Barbara said...

GREAT review! I LOVE J.R. Ward and tht BDB...and her Fallen Angel series too. I CANNOT wait for Lover Reborn to be released...it's taking FOREVER!