Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole














Regin the Radiant and Declan Chase's book 





Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark book 11)

By Kresley Cole


Book Blurb:HE VOWED HED COME FOR HER . . . Murdered before he could wed Regin the Radiant, warlord Aidan the Fierce seeks his beloved through eternity, reborn again and again into new identities, yet with no memory of his past lives.

SHE AWAITS HIS RETURN . . .
When Regin encounters Declan Chase, a brutal Celtic soldier, she recognizes her proud warlord reincarnated. But Declan takes her captive, intending retribution against all immortals—unaware that he belongs to their world.

TO SATE A DESIRE MORE POWERFUL THAN DEATH . . .
Yet every reincarnation comes with a price, for Aidan is doomed to die when he remembers his past. To save herself from Declan’s torments, will Regin rekindle memories of the passion they once shared—even if it means once again losing the only man she could ever love?



I am a huge fan of the character Regin and boy she deserved better than this dude, Declan. Not pleased with the outcome of Dreams of a Dark Warrior. But that is not to say it wasn't a great book because it really was. 

Regin is funny, witty and totally loyal. If I was to be trapped in a prison type cell with any of the IAD characters, (like Regin was in this story) I think I'd want it to be Regin. She has the best quips and comebacks and she is just so confident. So why oh why or how did she end up with Declan Chase? 

I have no idea what the attraction was here. This messed up dude kidnapped a 7 yr old witch and had her mother killed. He authorizes torture sessions (of unspeakable cruelty) on her captured friends. He is cold and just plain out right creepy. Declan is best to be compared to some war time deranged leader who orders experiments on his captives with a goal to eradicate them from the earth. Doesn't he just sound pleasant?

Declan is of course Regin's reincarnated lover, Aiden from a thousand years ago. He keeps returning vowing to be with her over and over again. Remarkably Regin, who admits to not loving the original Aidan , saves herself for him hundreds of years at a time. Why? I don't know other than a silly vow she made when she was twelve years old. Personally, I was a fan of the original "Aidan the Fierce" and even a few of his predecessor and I truly truly TRULY saw nothing enduring about Declan. I have no idea what it was about him that drew him to her. If anyone else reading this review that has read Dreams of a Dark Warrior and feels like that would like to enlighten me on what I missed, I invite you to comment. 

So as Declan starts to dream and remember the past, he turns from wanting to gut her alive to taking over a role to be her fierce protector. Honestly, it was laughable. So I thought I'd give this emotional 180 degree switch some time but I still had no idea what was drawing him to Regin. He just had no enduring qualities. I thought maybe Kresley Cole was trying to play a tortured hero card but it just didn't do enough for me to make me like him. 
Oh did I mention he was also a drug addict and since he was the commander of this Lore torture facility, once all of the captured Lore escape, they all want to kill him. Slowly. Painfully. 

The story itself was intriguing and held my interest. It had my heart pumping and I could not believe that Regin was practically autopsied while awake. There were some great new characters introduced and I loved hearing Lothaire's voice in my head. I was always curious how he spoke. I can't wait to dive into his book next. 

Teasers: brutal experiments, curse, RIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGG





No comments: