Sunday, December 16, 2012

Under the Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis















Mia and Nick's novella



Under the Mistletoe (Lucky Harbor book 6.5)

by Jill Shalvis

Book Blurb:JUST ONE MORE KISS
There's no place like home for the holidays. And the Lucky Harbor Bed & Breakfast is bursting with festive lights and good cheer. But for Mia, Christmas is turning out to be anything other than merry and bright. Her recent break-up with her boyfriend Nick has made her return bittersweet. But then a surprise arrives, when Nick follows her to town bearing gifts-and asking for forgiveness.
Nick grew up without a family of his own so he's overwhelmed by the love that Mia receives from all her relatives, gathered together to celebrate the season. Under their watchful eyes, Nick finds earning back her trust the hardest thing he's ever had to do. If he succeeds, he will receive the greatest gift of all, Mia's love for a lifetime.


As much as I love to take a trip to Lucky Harbor, Under the Mistletoe was a little bit flat for me. Under the Mistletoe takes place about 5 years after Chloe and Sawyer's book, At Last. Under the Mistletoe could be read as a stand alone novella but you'd be missing all of the character's backgrounds in relation to Mia. 

I'm not really a fan of novellas or anthologies because they are too short for me. I was especially annoyed that Under the Mistletoe finished when my Kindle was only at 65%. I really find that misleading while reading and gauging how far I am into the book and how much longer is left. 65% is way to short. I feel cheated. 

Both Nick and Mia were adopted children and both had very different experiences with their upbringing. Their backgrounds played heavily on how they each approached their relationship. 

Something that bugged me was how Mia surprised Nick with an airline ticket back to Lucky Harbor as a present and then sprung it on him the very night before they'd have to leave. I kind of thought that was inconsiderate really. She was hurt that he wasn't eager to go. She must have had an inkling on what his reaction was going to be because it just felt wrong to give him such a present (and what it represented) at her doorstep the very night before. 

I was completely okay that Jill Shalvis didn't have Mia paired off with Carlos, her teen boyfriend from previous books. I am glad that Carlos made an appearance in the story and everything was okay between them. 

Any moment with Ford, Mia's biological father, is a good moment. I adore his personality and how he interacts with Mia and her biological mom, Tara. I will admit to wishing there was a bit more of Ford in Under the Mistletoe but I understand it was not his story to tell. 

I was glad that Nick flew to Lucky Harbor to find Mia. I wish there was more written about Chloe and Sawyer's wedding as that was another reason I purchased Under the Mistletoe. There are only some very minor scenes at the end. I guess overall I would have just liked it longer. 

Teasers: meddling mom, hose them off, sexy houseboat cruise




3 comments:

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't picked up one of this authors books! Great review :)

-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

Unknown said...

Thanks! Jill's Lucky Harbor series is really good.
Thanks for visiting.

Margaret said...

My thoughts exactly.