Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas















A book about Liberty Jones



Sugar Daddy

By Lisa Kleypas

Book Blurb:
SHE'S FROM THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS
Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as completely off-limits. His own ambitions are bigger than Welcome, and Liberty Jones is a complication he doesn't need. But something magical and potent draws them to each other, in a dangerous attraction that is stronger than both of them. 
 
HE'S THE ONE MAN SHE CAN'T HAVE
When Hardy leaves town to pursue his plans, Liberty finds herself alone with a young sister to raise. Soon Liberty finds herself under the spell of a billionaire tycoon---a Sugar Daddy, one might say. But the relationship goes deeper than people think, and Liberty begins to discover secrets about her own family's past. 
 
WILL THEY FIND THEIR HEARTS' DESIRES OR WILL HEARTBREAK TEAR THEM APART?
Two men. One woman. A choice that can make her or break her. A woman you'll root for every step of the way. A love story you'll never forget.



If you follow my book reviews you'll notice that I usually put the novel couple's name beside the book graphic. I do this as a reference so I can quickly remember the character's names. This time I didn't put a couple's name because Sugar Daddy isn't really a romance novel in the normal sense where "man meets woman and they fall in love" romance book. No, Sugar Daddy is a touching story about a girl named Liberty Jones and there is a bit of romance added in for good measure. Also, I don't want to make a major spoiler. 



Sugar Daddy is the first Lisa Kleypas contemporary novel I have read. I love her historicals so I thought I'd read one with a modern day theme. Sugar Daddy was excellent and not at all what I thought it was going to be. Now having said that, I didn't know what it was going to be. I feel the book blurb doesn't really reflect what Sugar Daddy is about. It's not really a book about Liberty trying to choose between two men like I thought. It is so much more deeper and meaningful than that. 

Liberty grows up with a single mother who loves her dearly. Yes, shocking I know! I kept waiting for the mean mom to come out of the woodwork because so many novels have to include a mean uncaring parent. Since the story starts out when Liberty is fourteen and three quarters years old that's not to say that there are not some challenging teenage moments with her mom. But truly there is no doubt, her mom loves her. 

Liberty's teenage years was some of the best reading of Sugar Daddy. I was easily whisked back to my own awkward teenage years and my major crush/first love. I completed resonated with Liberty on so many levels during this time period. The descriptions were fabulous. I felt the heat from the pavement, I heard the rain and hail on the trailer roof, I felt the tingles of first love and all the butterflies that are generated with that awesome giddy nervous feeling.  Simply amazing. 

When Liberty's new born baby sister, Carrington arrives I could feel the pull of love from Liberty. She loves her baby sister fiercely. Their relationship is written with such feeling and powerful emotion. I was almost jealous of how easily she loved and cared for baby sister. Sugar Daddy can also be said that it is a moving story about sisters. With such an age difference between Liberty and Carrington, Liberty completely adapted a maternal role.  The sisters experience a lot of life challenging moments. I was in awe of Liberty through it all. 

Sugar Daddy is evenly paced as the story develops through Liberty's teen life through to mid twenties. Since the book is written in first person, I felt I grew up right along Liberty. The first half of the book's romance was focused on Liberty's young yearning love - years of dry spells - to when she needs to make that choice between two men who have places deeply embedded in her heart. 

I loved every moment I spent reading Sugar Daddy

Teasers: I normally do my teasers in words but this time I wanted to include teasing pictures.



4 comments:

Margaret said...

Love the historicals, but I read Sugar Daddy and it didn't really do much for me. Nothing wrong with the book, I just didn't connect with these characters. :)

Na said...

Very good story. I didn't love it as much as Blue-Eyed Devil but I did appreciate more insight on Hardy's childhood in this story.

Book Lovers Inc Staff said...

I adored this series with all my heart. I have to admit that these are the only ones I read so far but well it's mostly because I'm not that much of a historical reader.

SusiSunshine said...

That Book Lovers Inc comment was me- sorry about the account confusion. >.<