Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood















Nick Buchanan and Laurant Madden






Heartbreaker 
By Julie Garwood


Book Blurb:
Bless me father, for I will sin....
In the still shadows of the confessional, a madman tauntingly reveals his plan for a murder he is going to commit, pulling Father Thomas Madden into a twisted game by disclosing his next intended victim: Tom's sister, Laurant. In a frantic race to protect her, Tom calls upon his best friend, elite FBI agent Nick Buchanan, to track the predator who is closing in on Laurant. Now, as an electrifying attraction grows between Laurant and Nick, so does the danger -- and one false move will cost both of them everything that matters.
Julie Garwood's books are my comfort reads. I have read and then re-read numerous historical romances of hers. However this is the first time that I have ventured out to her contemporary series. I was impressed. I liked Heartbreaker a lot.  I have to say though after Heather from The Book Reading Gals told me that Nick Buchanan was a descendant from one of my all time favourite heroes, Brodick Buchanan from Ransom, I got especially excited. 
Nick was a wonderfully well rounded hero in Heartbreaker. I liked him right away. Nick is not an over the top alpha hunky male and instead he is a confident realistic man who works for the FBI. He is a part of the missing children's unit of the FBI so that says a lot about his character. He has seen some disturbing things that would burn out the normal citizen or send them to rounds of treatments in a psych ward.  


Laurant was awesome. Firstly what a cool name Laurant is. I've never heard it before and it really suited this lovely character. Laurant is a long legged French beauty that really has no idea how pretty she is. My biggest attraction to Laurant's character was how smart and sensible she was. She knows that a crazy killer is after her and she is just plain logical about it. She recognizes that Nick is a true professional and she trusts every single call he makes. She may not like it but she gets it. Laurant makes no stupid moves and even though she get thoroughly frustrated with the barriers Nick throws her way, she goes with it. Oh how I loved that! It was so refreshing to read that an intelligent woman recognized that she was in peril and made no stupid or careless moves. That is the beauty of Julie Garwood's writing style. The reader is treated to a solid plot and the story does not get clouded by frivolous climatic moments forced to move the novel forward. The strength is all in the well crafted writing. 


For the majority of the story, the reader is treated to a bit of a mystery trying to figure out who the "Heartbreaker" killer is and then a suspenseful build up as the story draws to climax. Laurant and Nick's feelings slowly escalate forward and they become a well developed pair. Part of the FBI cover was to appear like a newly engaged couple. It was great to read how they were trying to fool everyone that they were in love and all the while, they were actually falling in love. I smiled frequently. 


Heartbreaker was a great story and I am getting ready to start the next book in the Buchanan series. I'm not normally a romantic suspense reader but I really enjoyed the change. 


Teasers: Father "What a Waste", donut boy runner, creepy hidden camera, cute matching fishing shirts



No comments: