Saturday, February 9, 2013

Guardian Angel by Julie Garwood















Jade Redfern & The Marques of Cainwood, Caine




Guardian Angel (Crown Spies book 2)

by Julie Garwood

Book Blurb:The Emerald flew across the seas, carrying the pirate Pagan -- despised by the ton, whose riches he plundered, and beloved by the poor, whose plight was eased by his gifts.
The Marquess of Cainewood vows to hunt down the pirate wretch in revenge for his brother's death. But when Jade, an enchanting vision of rippling red hair and eyes of jewel-green, appears at his door to beg desperately for his protection, the Marquess agrees to keep her safe from the villains who want her dead. Jade is infuriating, exasperating, and gorgeous; Caine is noble, strong-willed, and powerful. No woman has ever befuddled him so, nor so deeply aroused his desire. But as Jade answers his knowing caresses with an innocent, wild abandon, they are drawn into a web of treachery that will test the very heart of their love!





Original Pub May 1990


Hands down Julie Garwood writes the best historical heroines. Even if I don't fall in love with the story, I still adore the heroines. Jade is a great character and I enjoyed reading about her. I have to say though, where as Julie Garwood is generally a slam dunk 5 rating for me, Guardian Angel didn't wow me like her usual stories. 


Guardian Angel is book two in the Crown Spies series and it could definitely be read as a stand alone. I read book 1, The Lion's Lady a few years ago and it was very easy to understand Guardian Angel

Guardian Angel sat on my shelf for a long time because the book blurb mentions a "pirate" and I admit to really needing to be in the mood for a pirate story. In this respect I was delighted in how the story played out. An excellent twist and probably my favourite part of the story. 

I am trying to put my finger on why Guardian Angel didn't amaze me like most Julie Garwood books do. I've concluded that it was because the story was divided into different parts. I didn't mind the mystery that was woven into the romance so much but this time around I felt the novel would have ended perfectly once Jade and Caine were together. Now I know that I am contracting myself here because that is part of the magic with Garwood books that I adore. I normally love that Garwood often pairs up and marries off the couple earlier in the story and in this book, Jade and Caine didn't actually come together until well after the book was more than half way done. By this time, the mystery took over and there were still relationship reservations by Jade. 

Still a great read and I am happy I read it. Julie Garwood still remains one of my most favourite historical romance authors. 

Teasers: white rose calling card, secret Tribunal, Pagan mystery, lock breaker





2 comments:

Ninja Girl said...

Ahhh, Julie Garwood! I discovered her last year. I loved The Wedding, but then I read The Bride, and goodness. It was literally one of my favorite historicals ever.
Nice review,
Ninja Girl

Unknown said...

Oh the Wedding and the Bride are super fabulous.
If you want another amazing one, try Ransom. Actually there are just a bunch that are awesome.
Thanks for stopping by.