Friday, August 3, 2012

Second Chance Pass by Robyn Carr














Paul Haggerty & Vannie's book





Second Chance Pass (Virgin River #5)

By Robyn Carr

Book Blurb:
In the space of a few months Vanessa buried her husband, Matt, and gave birth to their son--breaking her heart while filling it with a whole new kind of love. But the one man she longs to share this love with now acts as if she doesn't exist.
Paul Haggerty lives by the marine motto: Semper Fi. Ever faithful to his best friend, he's done right by Matt's widow as best he can...considering he's been secretly in love with her for years. Now, just as he's about to make his move, another woman has staked her claim on him--a claim that will be tough to escape.
With courage, humility and not a little meddling from the good folks of Virgin River, Vanni and Paul might just get a second chance to have the love they both desire and deserve.

By this time in the series I have come to really know these characters. I still love the continued updates from the other couples, although I think Jack and Mel from book 1 Virgin River continue to carry the cast. Although Second Chance Pass was technically slated to be Vannie and Paul's story, I feel the first half the book and the second half of the book were completely different stories. It's a good thing I am jotting down my reviews after each book because they are all definitely starting to meld together as one big honking book!
In the first half of Second Chance Pass the focus was primarily getting Paul and Vannie to finally come together as a couple. There were some tough obstacles to overcome but regardless, Paul and Vannie turned out to be stand up characters. I am not sure I would have been as willing as Vannie was regarding Paul's "problem" so I was in awe of how badly she really wanted this to all work out. 
Paul sure got himself into a big pickle and I wasn't quite sure how he was going to come out in the end. No spoilers here because it's a great read and I don't want to ruin it. 
The second half of the book was a real hodgepodge of stories. The readers will experience some gripping moments from Mel and Jack (and I was really worried that Robyn Carr was going to something drastic here) *wipes forehead* Lets just say, it was tense. 
I loved the fabulous update with Preacher and Paige. *squee*
There was some interesting turn of events for the General. *smile* I love when characters that are mature in years get some attention. I sure have to say the Robyn Carr delivers from the teen years right up to the golden years. You have it all in this soap opera of Virgin River. 
Big massive lumps in my throat and heart for Rick making his way to Iraq. Wow I am so nervous with that plot line. I adore that guy. 
A secondary story that I thought was waaaaay to rushed for Joe and Nikki. 
The mysterious drug dealer makes another quick appearance but he is gone as quick as he appears. 
I was so hoping that couple from Christmas story would become regulars because so far, that was my favourite story. But the Buchanan's did not appear. I wonder if they ever do come back or if that was just a one time Christmas special book? Anyone know? 
Can I just also mention how much I love these covers? I am a visual person and each cover really adds to the story. I love when the cover matches the story that is written in the book and each of the wonderful Virgin River's covers have really aided in my imagination of what the setting resembles. I love it!. On to book 6, Temptation Ridge
Teasers: Jack delivers baby #2, new house developments, fire!




No comments: