Friday, September 23, 2011

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs



















Moon Called (Mercy Thompson book 1) 
by Patricia Briggs

Book Blurb:
Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.




Moon Called is book 1 in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. This series was highly recommended by my commenters and I have to tell you, my commenters have great taste!

I wanted an engaging story about a kick ass woman in a great series. It didn't take me long to adore Mercy Thompson. I love how the author Patricia Briggs writes Mercy. You see Mercy is a kick ass lady but what makes her remarkable is that she's smart and she's completely aware of her physical limitations. She also knows how to act in the right situations even if she hates to do it. That is just plain brilliant and knowing how to properly read people er I mean, werewolves/fae/vampires. 

This limitation awareness is what sets Mercy aside from other kick ass heroines I have read in the past. She knows when she needs to be submissive with the werewolves and she knows her strength when it comes to aggression. She doesn't pretend to be something she's not. Who doesn't love a heroine that can kill a werewolf in a fight by accident and then go home and make homemade cookies. Can you tell I adore Mercy? 

Mercy is part Native American and an ancient "walker" species (she is not ancient) who can effortlessly shift into a coyote. She is one of a kind and hasn't met others like her. She is rare but with Mercy, it's not just her "walker" status that makes her a rare woman. She is surrounded by supernatural beings like gremlins, vampires, fae and werewolves and she seems to have somehow befriended many species that do not normally associate to one another. She is a self-employed garage owner/mechanic who fixes European vehicles .

There is a great mystery and an abduction in Moon Called that needs solving and a rescue. All the investigating and planning is an excellent plot device  as it allows for an effective introduction to the important characters and gives the reader a perfect insight to the pack life.  

Moon Called is a wonderful beginner book to a series that I just know I'm going to love. With each book centered around Mercy and her activities, I just can't wait to start book 2, Blood Bound. There was an excellent introduction to many character and beings and a great mystery to get the readers involved. The only thing I didn't care for is the obviously love triangle budding between Mercy, Adam and Sam. I just wanted her to get with Adam and have the series take off like a "Cat & Bones" couple but alas, I guess I will have to endure because that is the way it looks like it will all play out...I think it does anyhow??

Teasers - Alpha yummy, power of silver, graffiti backyard car, moon song








8 comments:

Sabina said...

I LOVE Mercy!!! Patricia Briggs have written her so wonderfully!!! :-) You are in for a treat when you read the rest of the serie!! I have also read her first book in the Alpha and Omega serie and I think it gives a little something ekstra on some on the characters from Mercy Thompson!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Sabina. I am so loving Mercy. I just adore her. I just finished book 2 and I'm getting ready to just type up that review right now.

Julie said...

I am so glad you liked book one. Mercy is one of my fave characters ever. She embodies what I want in my heroines. And her relationship with Adam is just wonderful to watch. Can't wait for your reviews for the other books!

Michelle Brack said...

I actually just finished reading this book recently. It was a new series for me, recommended to me awhile ago by a coworker and I just never thought it would be interesting enough to get into. And then I got stuck in bed sick for a week and read tons of books, including this one, and LOVED it! Now I'm wondering what took me so long to pick it up and I can't wait to get some more free time so I can read the rest!:-)

VampedChik said...

I love this series! Her and Kelley Armstrong are two of my favs.
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

May-Day_Aura said...

I got this book awhile back, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm glad it comes so highly recommended. It looked interesting on the shelf, but it's good to heard so many good things about it from a reader.

Na said...

I've had this book/series on my TBR pile for awhile and just never seem to get to it. Mercy sounds like a female protagonist I would like because she's different and strong. Plus I've been meaning to read more shifter stories.

DBookWhore said...

I just read this book and I loved.. My biggest beef was I wanted MORE love!! but I still enjoyed the book!! Great review!!