Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Guilty Pleasures #6 - I'm a cover girl




Outlander: with Bonus ContentYou know that old saying, "Never judge a book by it's cover?" Well uhm, I am so guilty of doing just that. I have a Kindle but that does not stop me from simply buying a book because Amazon recommends or my Goodreads friends are displaying their with pretty pretty book covers in my newsfeed. I am totally drawn to a book by it's cover. For me I would say the cover is only second to a friend's verbal book recommendation. Afterall, "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon is my favourite book and it has  a very undesirable cover.




The Perfect Play (A Play-by-Play Novel)There are books that I have bought simply based upon cover. I mean, I never even read the book blurb. I just saw the cover and auto purchased.  I have done this impulse buy more than once. My bank account can vouch. Most times I am pleased, other times I'm not. Here is an example of a book that bought just because the cover grabbed me. I mean I love football so why not right? For this little gem "The Perfect Play" by Jaci Burton, I actually bought the book instead of the Kindle addition because I kind of consider this art. :)

Cowgirl Up and Ride: Rough Riders, Book 3Here is series by Lorelei James that I am totally hooked on. I have every single book and my decision to "click to buy" was totally based on the amazing matching covers. Thankfully I was NOT disappointed when purchased. Amazing series! I was interested in cowboys and when I saw these covers, it was a slam dunk for me. I mean, what is that woman with that wry smile thinking behind that barn door? Hmm, what is that shirtless cowboy thinking of doing with that bit of rope?

Punished (Taboo Wishes)
For Erotica, Brynn Paulin's Taboo Series wins for the best covers. Hot, sexy and you get an immediate pulsing reaction to the covers. I must also say, the stories are as equally hot and sexy too!


The Devil Wears Plaid

Love this cover by Teresa Medeiros! Actually, I love the historical romance story that goes with "The Devil Wears Plaid". When I saw this cover, it caught my attention because she was wearing red and I loved her facial expression.



Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1)For paranormal, Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series has amazing covers. I love how they are relevant to the story and they are just so pretty. I was also drawn because there was a kick ass chick on the cover instead of a shirtless vampire male. Turns out, the stories are highly addictive so that was a total score.

The one thing the drives me batty about book covers is when they don't match the story at all. I totally hate it when the female character is supposed to have long red hair and the cover model has a short blond bob hairstyle. Grrr.



Tell me about your favourite book covers or about a book that you impulsed bought based only on the cover. Do you display any of your books as art?   

4 comments:

Julie said...

First and foremost, how was The Perfect Play? 'Cause GUH. Me wants. I think more than the cover, it's the title of a book that inspires me to buy it. The cover is just icing on the cake. The other day I picked up a bunch of free reads on Amazon solely based on their titles, ex: 'Some Summonings are Suspect', 'Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo', 'Bubba and the Dead Woman', etc. I'm crazy like that. :D

C.J Duggan said...

Ahhhh I totally do this! Infact I have jumped on the band wagon of a Monday post up called 'Cover Lust' by Keary Taylor.

Here is the this week's book I am lusting after http://can-duu.blogspot.com/2011/07/cover-lust-2.html

Cover's are so important, it's got to make you want to pick it up and flip it over to find out more. Sometimes I don't even bother doing that. Another common bond for us Michelle! Apart from Jeaniene Frost, Nalini Singh and EVERYTHING else!

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more... I am guilty of the same thing - the cover grabs me and before I know it, I've purchased it. To me the cover is what gets me to pick it up and read it. Love all the covers you showed in your post - and agree on all of them. Love your guilty pleasure...:)

Thanks for visiting mine.

bookittyblog said...

I totally agree with you!