Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dangerous Grounds by Shelli Stevens



Maddie and Gabe's book. (Madison Phillips & Gabriel Martinez)
3.5 stars. Not quite a 4 for me but higher than a 3.




















Dangerous Grounds

By Shelli Stevens

Book Blurb:
Something's hot in Seattle, and it's not just the espresso. Madison's needs are simple. All she wants are two things: Make Ooo La Latte the newest trend in espresso, and seduce the sexiest cop in Seattle. But things aren't going exactly as planned.

First, Gabe's a little hung up on the fact that she's his best friend's little sister, and he's determined to keep his hands off. Second, her shop gets robbed by the increasingly violent Espresso Bandit, and now she's the only one who can identify him.

Gabe whisks her into hiding for her own protection, but soon finds his heart is under assault by the luscious--and persistent--Madison. But no matter where they hide, danger follows. On such dangerous grounds, the trick will be to live long enough to keep the flame alive.



Dangerous Grounds had me up one minute and down the next. I found I was waffling on the character Maddie. At the beginning of the book I admired her for being a woman knowing what she wants and goes after it. After her recent breakup with her boyfriend, Maddie was after a rebound guy and a sexy fling. I giggled on her various ways to seduce Gabe and thought Gabe was quite honourable not giving in to her when most guys would have caved. This line made me laugh and I wonder if I would ever have the bravery to say it, "Can I get you anything else? Are you hungry? Do you want some biscotti? Maybe a bagel? She ran her tongue over her bottom lip. "Or how about a blowjob?"

Sometimes Maddie's immaturity seeped out and then I had to remember that she is young and I had to cut her some slack. The first time I got annoyed is when it was obvious that she needed to be careful of that bandit and she pulled an immature hissy fit dashing to the front of the store unprotected and alone. At least when Gabe got shot she understood what a grave error she made.
I did like this line that was written regarding Maddie's desire to take on a rebound guy..."The best way to get over someone was to get under someone"

I liked Gabe. He was portrayed as a great guy and although it was said that he was a player and wasn't a relationship guy, the writing certainly did not portray that stereotype. He seemed very protective, considerate of her family's feelings, romantic (picture fire place, fur rug, storm outside and nekkid hunk) gentle and affectionate. I think he came to the conclusion that his feelings toward Maddie were deeper before Maddie even did.

Favourite part of Dangerous Grounds was the escape cabin. I love when the setting of a book is a character itself. I think the author did a great job describing the scenery, the feel of the cabin, the hike to the lake, the smell in the air and the sounds of the beach.

Things that bothered me –
1. I really like a contemp book to be as real as possible and I don’t get why Maddie would only have 1 employee. Why have Maddie open a coffee shop and then can’t make coffee. I am not sure if the author was trying to make Maddie quirky but it came off as kinda dumb. I don’t think it would have made the plot any more uninteresting or not work if she had a few employees.
2. What was the deal with her back story of her being kidnapped. Another not necessary and by the time it came out, it served no purpose.
3. I wouldn’t really consider this erotic but more a hot romance.
4. The book ended and I clicked the next page expecting more and was shocked that that was it.

Things I really liked –
1. I liked the emotional feelings that Maddie had after her very last run it with the bandit. It was real and her feelings were included. It was totally believable. Yes she would have suffered severe shock and I was really pleased that it was not swept under the carpet.
2. I liked the very real pregnancy scare and to have it written as a constant reminder the very important need to have protection.
3. I liked their families and I liked that her future sister in law trying to set up Gabe with her maid of honour. Served Maddie right for trying to hide their relationship.




No comments: