Thursday, April 14, 2011

Turn It On by Vivian Arend

Turn It On: Turner Twins, Book 1Maxine Turner & Ryan Claymore's book

Turn It On was my first Vivian Arend book. First let me start off by saying I'm not much of a mystery reader. The most indepth mysteries if have read are Stephanie Plum lol so I cannot base my opinion very well on the mystery concept. So I will just base it upon my experience with smut. :) 
Inheriting her grandmother's home is a dream come true for web designer Maxine Turner. She's looking forward to a little freedom from the constant demands of her beloved, crazy mob of a family. When vandals expose just how vulnerable she is living alone, she seeks help.

Ryan Claymore's well-thought-out life was wrenched out from under him when responsibility for his special-needs stepbrother landed on his shoulders. Going from military man to business man hasn't been easy. He counts himself lucky he's found Maxine to trade his security-system knowledge for her website expertise.

The red-hot chemistry that sizzles between them comes from out of the blue, and they both fight a losing battle to resist. Even the secret Ryan hides isn-t enough to keep Maxine from working her way into his heart-and his bed.  But something else might tear them apart. Whoever seems determined to destroy her home, and her sanity along with it.

For me there were holes in Turn it On that didn't add up. He owns a security company but he didn't set the cameras up? Quitting the military to look after disabled brother? Sending gramma off to condo living and not knowing that the house that had been in the family for years had a secret passage? Max still thinking the vandals were kids? I could go on and on about how the author thinks the readers are not bright and wouldn't pick up on all the plot holes. So instead of writing what I didn't like, I can write what I did like.

I liked how Max and Ryan met in the coffee shop. That made me smile. I felt their attraction to each other when Ryan came to her house to inspect for security. I thought the author did a great job making the reader "feel" their attraction instead of just writing "Max likes Ryan". When they were both so incredibly drawn to each other but needed to maintain a professional reserve was amusing to read.

I liked that Ryan and Max didn't just sleep together the first time and it took a bit for them to do so.

I really like how well the author orchestrated the smut scenes. (okay epic thesaurus fail on turgid penis) I thought they were hot and well paced. Well paced in the sense that, after the first time, BAM! they were not hopelessly in love. (I really hate when authors do that)

I thought it was interesting to add the storyline about her ex Jamie being a lousy lover and how he made Max shower first or no oral or intimate touching etc. If her previous boyfriend was her only experience and that's what he made her do or what they did, then that's all she knows. I loved how the Vivian Arend wrote how Ryan struggled to get her out of that frame of mind. It was like it's own little story within the story.


I also enjoyed the ending. I felt Max had really grown since the beginning of the book and I liked her change. I was super happy that the book did not end with having a baby or something. God I hate how books end with babies.
So yes, major plot holes and unlikely situations but I still liked it.

No comments: