Friday, April 22, 2011

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost




















One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress book 2)

By Jeaniene Frost

Book Blurb:
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.



One Foot in the Grave continues to be a strong series. I loved One Foot in the Grave but not as much as I adored Halfway to the Grave book 1.  There is always something special with book 1 of a series.
 

I felt a little sad that the book starts 4 years after Halfway to the Grave. It felt like so much wasted time when Cat and Bones could have been together. Well it’s not as bad as Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and the 20 year time gap from Outlander to Dragonfly but my heart did go out the characters.

What the 4 year separation gave us was a more time to have Cat develop her fighting skills and train a great group of guys. I was really looking forward to Cat and Bones’ reunion and I thought that Jeaniene Frost came up with an awesome reunion moment. My heart was beating so fast waiting for that flash in time when their eyes met. It was not a disappointment.

From the first book, the readers know that Cat wants to find and kill her vampire dad. I am so pleased that Jeaniene Frost decided not to wait until book 9 to have her vampire father Max makes an appearance. I was so worried that her missing vampire father was going to be the constant feature in each book. Awesome to bring the cruel vamp out and make a story of it instead of having the Cat chase her tail.


My new favourite pick up that I have ever read now belongs to Cat. When she took off her panties and slapped them on the chest of a vamp she was trying to trap and said, “As soon as I saw you, I knew I wouldn’t be needing these.” I laughed out loud. Best line ever!

I also liked reading about some of Bones’ new abilities and learning more about the vampire society. Always a bonus to have more background to the society. It gives the story, characters and the series more substance. Speaking of characters, One Foot in the Grave introduced us to a much larger cast. I have a lot of interest in her team and I want to know more about them and their various turn of events. I loved to despise Bones’ old flame Annette.  I am more curious about Ian, Spade (Charles) and Mencheres and I’d gladly read more about them.

One Foot in the Grave had an amazing ending so luckily for me, I already bought At Grave’s End and I am getting ready to dive in.


No comments: