Friday, April 4, 2014

D - Blogging Challenge "D/s Lifestyle in Romance Books"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.




Today's letter is D

My subject today is all about book relationships that focus on D/s storylines. D/s stands for Dominance and Submissive. 

Wicked Ties by Shayla Black


I have always been utterly fascinated reading about the D/s lifestyle in romance books. I think it's because it is the furthest type of relationship from my own life. Masters, Doms, Clubs; nope not in my current life.




Masters at Arms by Kallypso Masters

The whole idea of such control and the extreme amount of trust that a fictional couple endures can be rather exhausting to me. It also really excites me. However in real life, I could never allow a man to have that much control over me. It would be a life walking on eggshells. No thanks.




Sweet Persuasion by Maya Banks

I cannot fathom the whole "pain brings pleasure" in real life. Regardless, I find that I love reading about the D/s lifestyle. My heart races and I swear steam starts to waft up from my Kindle when I am deep into a D/s story. I personally find them super erotic. I can't read one D/s story after another but they are my special little guilty pleasure to read. 




I really liked Shoulda Been a Cowboy by Lorelie James because the female protagonist, Domini, is not submissive outside of the bedroom. It's not until the bedroom door is closed that she becomes submissive to her husband, Cam. She has lead an intensely focused controlled life since she was orphaned in the Ukraine that letting go of control is an actual release for her. I just loved the direction the author wrote this story. Plus bonus, it's smoking hot!



The above book covers are some of my favourite romances that feature the D/s lifestyle. How about you? Do you like reading about a lifestyle that is outside of the norm? Or are you vanilla all the way? 


8 comments:

Sherry Ellis said...

I wouldn't do well with an obsessively dominant guy, either!

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I could totally get into it in real life (not a 24/7 set up) but behind closed doors..totally. And thankfully a D/s relationship doesn't automatically mean pleasure from pain :)

My favorite--hands down--is Cherise Sinclair. I don't think anyone compares to her for me. Close second would be Roni Loren though I've only read one from her recently. I'll be going back to read others from her soon.

Unknown said...

I've only read one book by Cherise Sinclair - Shadowlands and I thought it was just okay. I've heard the rest of the series is really good though.
Roni Loren comes really highly recommended. Maybe one day I will get one of her books.

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

It's interesting how people receive the same books. To me she's the top in the industry. I've read the 4 you mentioned and enjoyed them but to me they just don't compare. Maya comes in close. I read hers after Cherise's and enjoyed them. I've read Black recently as well and really enjoyed hers though it was one of the later in the series. I've not tried her early works yet but hop to some day :)

Laura Roberts @ Buttontapper Press said...

I'm not big into D/s stories, just because I tend to prefer sassy heroines. But maybe if they reversed the roles and the woman was the dominant, that could be fun! I like the idea of a dominatrix more, to be honest. Especially if she's dominating someone she actually cares about, rather than just humiliating a client!

Unknown said...

Have you read "The Principle of Desire" by Delphine Dryden? The female character is the Dominate one. I found this book highly entertaining because of the role reversal.

Unknown said...

Laura is your website in Japanese? I can't seem to visit the link associated with your name.

Unknown said...

I'm not vanilla while reading or in real life. :D
I also love most of Cherise Sinclair's, but Shadowlands didn't stack up for me. The rest of the series has been fantastic though.
I've been thinking about having a Domme in an upcoming book, so I'm glad to see some interest in such a character out there.