Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G - Blogging Challenge "Garwood. An Ode to Julie Garwood"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.





Today's letter is G. 
An ode to Garwood. Julie Garwood. 


Julie Garwood is the one of the only authors where I have bought her historical romance books in different versions and in duplicate. I have her books in the old fashioned cover style, new modern cover, ebooks and even hardcovers if they were available. I am fully covered with the Garwood historical romance library. 

Dear Ms. Garwood, 

Thank you for sharing your writing gift with the world. You have a magical way to spin a historical romance into a whirlwind, marvelous journey. 

Your heroines are the biggest draw for me in your novels. Their innocence coupled with their humour make them as darling as they are admirable.   
“I am ever a gentle maiden," she shouted. "Damn if I'm not.”    

Even though history dictated how hard it was on women, you ensure that each of your heroines rise above all odds and come out on top with grace. 


“Wait.”

He turned back to her. “Yes?”

“You…”

She suddenly stopped. Wondering why she hesitated, he took a step toward her. She bowed her head and folded her hands together as though in prayer. She looked terribly vulnerable now… and sweet… he thought.

“Yes?” he repeated.

“You make me feel safe. I thank you for that.”

He didn't know how to respond. He finally managed a quick nod, then walked away.



Your heroes are warriors that generally have every other man shaking in their boots. These alpha heroes always fall head over heels in love with your amazing heroines and that really frustrates them... but makes me giggle.

"You will like being married to me, Judith. I command it!"

~~~~

“My wife." 
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?" 
"Mine.” 

~~~~

"What is your weakness, Brodick?" she asked.
"You.” 



Together your characters whisk me away to places I dream of.  Whether it be the Scottish Highlands, feudal England or even the late 19th century America, I become immersed in the story. I fall in love with your characters at the same time that they fall in love with each other. I feel joy reading about them coming together, sharing jokes and shamelessly flirting with each other. 

“These men will be of interest to you.” 
Colm looked them over. “Why is that?” he asked. 
With her back to the infidels, she whispered, “They like to dig holes.” 

~~~~


"She was his love, his joy, his companion.
She was his saving grace.” 

~~~~


"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."
"Never."
Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.” 



Your books are my comfort reads, my go to books, where I turn when I need a guaranteed good feeling. Your books have special meaning to me and pull me out of the real world and let me drift and dream for a little while. 

I thank you for warm memories and the escape.  



Love, Me 

2 comments:

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I've only read one of hers so far (contemp/light rom-suspense) and really enjoyed it. I've got to give her historicals a try!

Susan W. said...

I have all of her historical's on my Keeper shelf. I can pick up any one of them, open it to any page and be immediately into the story. They are old friends that I'll never let go.