Saturday, April 5, 2014

E - Blogging Challenge "Erotic Books"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.




Today's letter is E. 
Erotic Books!!!

100% honesty here...I prefer my romance books to have erotic elements. In fact, I'm rather disappointed if I don't get to be the fly on the wall during intimate scenes. I am so disappointed in a story if the protagonists are getting all hot & heavy and the author ends the scene with them going into their bedroom and closing the door. Cue the next scene being the morning after. *sigh* I don't want that!

Long Hard Ride Lorelei James


There are many levels of eroticism. That is why on each of my reviews I always include a heat level rating. My heat level ratings have nothing to do with whether I liked the book or not. I rate strictly on how erotic I felt the story was. Generally my 5 flame rating are because the book has BDSM or a scorching menages.




On Dublin Street by Samatha Young



I need my decent plots with my erotic romance. I need to be enamored with the characters. I need to relate to their feelings and their circumstances. On Dublin Street had me totally enamored. One of the best reads I had that year. 





Backstage Pass by Olivia Cunning


Now having said that, there are some romance books where the characters themselves are all about the sex. The thing is, there has to be love too. If every other page is going to be all about their bedroom (or tour bus) exploits, for me it has to be because they can't keep their hands off of each other because they are so in love. 




Leave Me Breathless by Cherrie Lynn


I totally love when there is an amazing, creative story line to go hand in hand with the erotic elements. If the man has an interesting piercing, so be it. *wink wink*





Undeniable by Madeline Sheehan 

The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden
Whether the dude of the book is a bad boy biker like Deuce in Undeniable or a total alpha nerd like Ivan in The Theory of Attraction, for me there has to be a solid draw. I've read plenty of erotic books where the hero does nothing for me. Now I don't mean that the man needs to become my next book boyfriend because that is not the case at all. In fact, Eva in Undeniable can keep Deuce all to herself. I don't want him; except that he is a total sexy turn on but 100% not my type of guy. 





Then there is something I call Super Smut. It is not just erotic but OMG erotic. It practically boarders on the ridiculous where no man could ever get it is up as much as Doc can in Selena Kitt's super smutty Baumgartners series. I believe the term "one handed read" was coined for her work. 



How about you? Do you prefer fluff or erotic elements to your romance books?  What are some of your favourites? 

8 comments:

KC Kendricks said...

Thanks for stopping by Between the Keys earlier in the week as part of the A to Z Challenge.

Good post on E. I like those happy fade to black scenes at the end of a good book. It leaves everyone smiling. :)

A to Z participant at Between the Keys

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I like em all! lol Just depends on the day if I want sweet or steamy or erotica :)

I really enjoyed the one from Olivia I read. It was part of her other series though.

My favorite erotica authors are gah so many! Cherise Sinclair, Anne Calhoun, Natasha Blackthorne, Elizabeth Amber, Jaci Burton, Sydney Croft and Lora Leigh. I'm really liking Roni Loren lately too. And Cara McKenna. :)

Kate Larkindale said...

I like my sex scenes spicy too, but not too detailed. I read mostly on public transport and some scenes are just too hot to read in public.

Unknown said...

I prefer romance too, It's nice to follow and connect http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Glad to see others who fess up to liking erotica!
Thanks everyone.

Robyn said...

For me it depends on my mood...and where I am when I am reading!! If I am on my break at work: it's better I read fluff (red faced/ sweaty hands nurses are no ones favourite!!) At home though I like it when the author leaves just enough room for my imagination!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Not a fan! But I'm always happy to find a new book review blog, so I'll be back. Following you from the A to Z Challenge.

Kat Sheridan said...

Great article! It all depends on my mood. Sometimes, especially in something like romantic suspense, I want to fade to black and get on with the suspense. But sometimes I'm just in the mood for a good sexy romp. I love all of Olivia Cunning's stuff, mostly because there's always a deep, true core of romance (not just sex) at the heart of them, a couple (or trio!) who truly want to make a life together!

Happy to have found a new blog, thanks to the A-Z challenge!

Kat Sheridan with Sia McKye Over Coffee