Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N - Blogging Challenge "Names of Characters"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.




Today's letter is N. 
Names of Characters

I can only imagine as an author while formulating your masterpieces how hard it must me to create memorable character names. The name of a character can mean strength, be villainous, add mystery and so much more. If a name of a character is off, it could actually derail the story for me. Yes! I mean it. 


Barrons
Cats and Bones
I totally love character names that stick. You only need to say "Barrons" and you are completely aware of who he is. 

Just say "Cat and Bones" and you have a mental picture of the couple immediately. 

Lothaire
   
 Lothaire? Yes he falls into that same memorable category. There is only one Lothaire. 

Charley Davidson
 For me Darynda Jones has cornered the market with the name "Charley" for a woman. If another author uses Charley for their female character it feels off. In fact I kind of lose interest because there is only one Charley for me. Same goes for Charley's love, Reyes. 

Deuce

Deuce. Nuff said. 

Roarke
Roarke. Do I need to say anything? Nope you totally know who I am talking about. Roarke. 


Lets end on this character name finale. 
J.R. Ward owns these characters names. Other authors would be crazy if they tried to duplicate. 


Wrath, Rhage, Zsadist, Phury, Vishous, Torhment, Qhuinn

Rehvenge  

I know I have missed a whole bunch of memorable characters that are easily identifiable just by their name. Do you have any that come to mind? 



1 comment:

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Oh I love names (and yeah sometimes hate them). You have a few of my favorites on the list.

One that just kills me was Howard. I about died reading it the first time. And then his nickname was even worse...six-pack. *hangs head* Was a nice read and I know the Howard's of the world need love too but man that was a rough one for me to move past. lol