Thursday, April 17, 2014

O - Blogging Challenge "Outlander TV Series"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.




Today's letter is O. 
Outlander TV Series


Sam Heughan as Jamie 

If you know me at all, you know how much I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. There really is nothing to compare it against as far as I am concerned. These heavy, long and completely absorbing books have finally been picked up by Sony Pictures and will be aired on STARZ network in USA and Showcase in Canada. When? Possibly late summer 2014. 

While you read books, you of course start to picture and formulate what the protagonists look like. For Jamie, it is very clear. Red hair filled with cinnamon and his colour matching the pelt of a Scottish red deer. He is tall, masculine, square jaw and cat like eyes that are bonny blue like a bright summer sky. I would say the casting for Jamie Fraser is BANG ON! Sam Heughan excites me and I canna wait to see him poor his heart into the most beloved Jamie Fraser. 


Caitriona Balfe as Claire

Outlander is told from a first person point of view and it is Claire Randall. Okay let me rephase that, it is actually 
Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser
and the actress to portray this brilliant, smart, sassy 1940's WW2 nurse is Caitriona Balfe. I am beyond impressed with what has been shared with the public on what Cait is going to do with Claire. Claire is everything to this show. There is not one scene that Claire won't be in. 



I have watched this trailer about a thousand times. In slow motion, paused and studied the scene and replayed that last scene with Jamie and Claire over and over and over again. I have chair danced so hard I have worn in my cushions. 



All round casting on Outlander has been fabulous. I have not winced one time when I saw the casting choices. In fact, it just boosted my enthusiasm. 

Normally I get really nervous when my favourite books have been turned into movies or TV series but there is such dedication to this project to remain as close to the books as possible. The author Diana Gabaldon is not a writer but she has been there all along the way reviewing and approving the screenplays. Outlander is her baby and if she is pleased, than I am more than pleased. 

Are you an Outlander fan? Has any of your favourite books been turned into movies or TV shows? 

4 comments:

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I'm afraid I know nothing about Outlander, I hope it turns out to be everything you are hoping for. I really love the Dune books and I have to say what Sci-Fi did with Dune and Children of Dune was magnificent. They caught the atmosphere so well and the two mini-series are simply brilliant.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

I've not read these but know so many that are thrilled about it going to tv. I have the first 5 cement blocks on my bookshelf (those suckers are HUGE!) One day I'll get brave enough :)

Unknown said...

Yes Anna they are huge books and they are a commitment. BUT, they are EPIC and all consuming.

Unknown said...

Oh great review...never heard of this show, so thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Cheers. :)
Loving the A to Z Challenge Maggie@expatbrazil.