Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M - Blogging Challenge "Meeting Authors I Love"

A to Z Challenge is posting every day in April except Sundays (we get those off for good behavior.) And since there are 26 days, that matches the 26 letters of the alphabet. On April 1, blog about something that begins with the letter “A.” April 2 is “B,” April 3 is “C,” and so on.




Today's letter is M. 

Some people love TMZ or they are star struck when they meet their favourite movie/television stars. For me, my celebrity pool are the authors I admire. I get all star struck and excited when I have the opportunity to meet someone who's stories have moved me. 


Diana Gabaldon
I'm not a stalker and I don't follow around authors aimlessly or pounce on their tweets. I don't automatically award perfect 5 star reviews just because it is an author I admire. But I do get extremely giddy when I meet them. I'm all nervous and hope I say something memorable but I rarely ever do. 



Janet Evanovich



One time I waited in line to meet Janet Evanovich for hours. When I finally got up to see her (wearing my custom Janet Evanovich shirt I made) the best I could come up with was, "I really like your writing." Wow right? 



Margaret Ethridge/Maggie Wells


Sometimes, I get to really know an author and they let me swoon  and gush all over them. Honestly, I'm not a stalker!





Evelyn Jewels





The Lori Foster Reader and Writer convention every June is a great way to tackle  hug  meet some authors you love. I know I have loved attending that conference every year. I'm sad that I am missing it this year but there is always next year!



Nalini Singh

Over time I've decided that perhaps the tackle hug approach I want to give is probably not the best thing to do unless they know my first name. But when you admire someone so much you want to have them embrace you as much as you have embraced them. Right?!


Vicky Dreiling
Thankfully, romance authors are a cool group of people who want to meet you too! My experience is that they love you to gush over them. Okay maybe not tackle hug them on the first meeting but they sure are happy to have fans!


Helen Kay Dimon and Jill Shalvis




Sometimes as fans, we think we know authors. We read their books, blogs and tweets. But when you meet your idols in person, there is nothing like it! 





I wish romance book conventions came to Canada! I'd first online to sign up. 

Have you meet your author idol? What did you say to them? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post for the letter 'M'! I've never met an author in real life, except for a couple of published professors I had back in college. If I could meet one, I'd love to meet Terry Pratchett. He's such an amazing writing legend and I think he'd be a pretty great guy to know :)

Margaret said...

As one who has been tackle hugged by you, I can honestly say the pleasure was mine!

Julie said...

I love spending time with my favourite book blogger and Canadian sistah! *tackle hugs*

Anonymous said...

Great "M" post! I have a t-shirt that says "Authors Are My Rock Stars" and it's true!
In my previous life as a bookseller, I was fortunate to meet several authors I admired. My favorite was meeting and eating dinner with Jan Karon, the author of the "Mitford" series. She was charming!

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone. I hope to increase this post to more authors some day. :) They are my rock stars.

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Aws so fun!! Totally jealous over Janet. Would love to meet her. I got to meet Vicky and Jill a couple years back at a con. Such nice ladies.

One of my faves I've met is Sabrina Jeffries (turns out she lives like a mile from me). I total fan girled her that first night. Now. I've gotten my cool back so don't go all goofy. lol