Saturday, April 23, 2011

At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost




















At Grave's End (Night Huntress 3 book)

by Jeaniene Frost

Book Blurb:
It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield's life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she's successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat's worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover's finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger.
As if that wasn't enough, a woman from Bones's past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat's about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she's learned as a special agent won't help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.



At Grave's End was the most emotional of the book series so far. There were many twists and turns and the story could have gone is many different directions. Argh, I was flipping the pages so fast to get through a few of the chapters. There were times I felt so desparate and my hands were sweating. Wow what a ride.

The violence against Cat and her mother at the beginning of the book inflicted by her evil vampire father Max left me with chills. In fact, I think that At Grave's End is probably the most violent to date.  The torture scenes left me squirming and I was feeling helpless. I was just begging for them to be rescued. Oh the angst.

Jeaniene Frost once again created a villian that you love to hate. Patra wasn't even in At Grave's End very much but when she did make her presence known, I felt myself grip my book harder. I love when a story gives me that sort of reaction to the characters. Speaking of Patra, I thought it was so creative in At Grave'e End that Jeaniene Frost played a bit with of history here and brought forth some historical characters. See if you can figure out the play on the name "Patra" and see where her character's name derived from. I was excited to be introduced to Vlad and I wondered what direction she would take his character. I must say, luvved it!

There was a new direction in At Grave's End and I like that Jeaniene Frost isn't writing the same book after book. There is great character development. I have to say, I find it a bit humourous that her soldiers were fighting against vampires and slowly but surely they are becoming comrades with each other. Why even her stubborn mom is starting to slowly wave the white flag.

Before I move onto book 4 Destined for an Early Grave, I am going to take a little detour and read First Drop of Crimson. It is a spin off of the Night Huntress series and it was suggested by another book reviewer, that I start it and Eternal Kiss of Darkness before starting Destined for an Early Grave. So that's my plan.


No comments: