Friday, April 15, 2011

The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick

The Paid CompanionThe Earl of St. Merryn, Arthur and Elenora Lodge's book.



The Paid Companion

By Amanda Quick

Book Blurb:
The Earl of St. Merryn needs a woman. His intentions are purely practical - he simply wants someone sensible and suitably lovely to pose as his betrothed for a few weeks among polite society. He has his own agenda to pursue, and a false fianc e will keep the husband-hunters at bay while he goes about his business. The easiest solution is to hire a paid companion. 

However, finding the right candidate proves more of a challenge than he expected - until he encounters Miss Elenora Lodge. Her dowdy attire and pinned-up hair cannot hide her fine figure and the fire in her golden eyes. And her unfortunate circumstances, and dreams of a life of independence, make the Earl's generous offer undeniably appealing.

But Elenora is unsure what this masquerade might entail. For St. Merryn is clearly hiding a secret or two, and things seem oddly amiss in his gloomy Rain Street home. She is soon to discover that his secrets are even darker than his decor, and that this lark will be a far more dangerous adventure than she's been led to believe. And Arthur, Earl of St. Merryn, is making a discovery as well: that the meek and mild companion he"d initially envisioned has become, in reality, a partner in his quest to catch a killer - and an outspoken belle of the ball who stirs a wild passion in his practical heart.





I picked up The Paid Companion paperback book at this super cool used book store for 50% off. That means it was just $1.25! I actually selected it because one of my book challenges on Goodreads is an alphabet author challenge and I needed a Q. Amanda Quick.


The Paid Companion was a historical mystery book with a touch of romance added. I think it would be a stretch to label it a historical romance. It was very enjoyable and I gave it 4 hearts. If I was rating The Paid Companion as a historical romance solely, I'd have awarded 3 hearts. The mystery plot delivered so I decided to give the 4 hearts.

I liked Elenora and Arthur. I think they made a great team to solve the mystery and the murders. I like how they were a bit eccentric and they complimented each other well. Arthur really needed a woman who was like Elenora to compliment him.

I don't read too many mystery books so I can't really compare how good this particular one was one or not. The mystery surrounding who murdered his great uncle and his uncle friends kept me interested enough that I was engaged all the way through.




No comments: